Here is my fun new project:
I purchased a new SSD Sata drive and installed it in my e-sata enclosure. The purpose, workstation anywhere.
So here is the concept, boot off my e-sata drive from grub in either my workstation or my laptop.
1) Install OS, this was rather easy, just booted off a live cd, selected the external drive, and let it add an entry to grub’s menu.lst
2) Add an entry to my laptop’s grub menu.lst with the same drive id etc… ( worked like a charm )
3) Configure Wifi Debian Squeeze, this was a little more difficult, as I didn’t have internet initially to download and update. Plugged in my Netgear usb wifi device and it auto-configured it. This is a few steps, first enable the non-free repo’s that’s easy google if you can’t remember how to do this. Then aptitude install firmware-iwlwifi wireless-tools.
4) Enable wired networking to be managed, by default it is not managed. Open, /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf and change the line managed=false to managed=true
5) Sound: worked out of the box
6) Quad Video with NVIDIA Quadro 380: Coming next.
6) NVidia Drivers (