Today, I’m getting ready to launch yet another Magento e-Commerce website for a client and have decided to do a step by step howTo on fully customizing a Magento skin.
1) You’ve already installed Magento on the webserver you are using for your test enviornment.
2) You’ve got one of the default themes already running
3) You need to next make copies of the default skin and template directories. cp ./app/skin/frontend/default/default to ./app/design/frontend/default/project_name and cp ./skin/frontend/default/default to ./skin/frontend/default/project_name .
4) You need to next tell the backend that you are using a custom skin and template. Login to the Magento admin section, and navigate to System -> Configuration this will take you to the main setup area, choose Design on the left and enter your project_name in both the template box, and the skins box and save.
5) You should now be using your new template, we will customize the skin in my next post!